2019’s Clinics are available to book now, all dates provisional dependant on Temperature of the water / Air:
5th May, 9am – 13:30 (approx).
1st June, 9am – 13:30 (approx).
14th July, 9am – 13:30 (approx).
All the above sessions are one off clinics and usually sell out, so plan your date early to avoid disappointment .
Location: South Cerney Outdoor (Lake12), Spine Road, South Cerney. See Location section for further details.
Our Introduction to Open Water clinics will give you all the skills you need to get into the open water for the first time, confidently and safely. These sessions are aimed at the new open water swimmer, new triathlete or a fitness swimmer looking to expand their swimming and try Open Water.
We are always looking to improve on an already popular and successful clinic session and have made our Intro session even better for 2019. We will be working towards achieving the Swim England Level 1 Open Water Swimming Certificate in this clinic, which can only be obtained in a session delivered by a qualified Swim England Open Water Coach, Both Jason & Colin hold this crepitation. The price of the clinic includes your Certificate for this qualification (if achieved) and also includes the following services and materials:
- Lake entry fee
- Loan of Tow Floats or Tow Woggles for the session to increase visibility, safety and peace of mind in the water (also available to purchase at a discounted rate)
- Upto two fully qualified ASA Open Water Specialist Coaches (Dependant on numbers of swimmers). Coaches Jason Tait & Colin Jones offer vast experience of Open Water Swimming, Pool Swimming, Club Swimming and Triathlon Swimming with each coaching swimmers from beginners to national athletes.
- Fully Certified Swim Smooth Coach (Jason Tait) and Swim Smooth Methodologies used by all coaches.
- South West Swim Introduction To Open Water Swimming Guide
- 30 Days Free Premium Access to the amazing www.swimsmooth.guru
- Swim Smooth Guide to Open Water Swimming
- Swim Smooth Open Water Video Presentation
- Materials relating to the Swim England Level 1 Certificate in Open Water Swimming
- Level 1 Open Water Swimming Certificate (if achieved in the session)
- A sample set for to get familiar with the skills learnt, in your own session (via the swimsmooth.guru)
- Delivery by coaches with a true passion about swimming, both pool and open water with a huge range of experience in both swimming themselves and coaching athletes of all standards, from beginners to national level swimmers and those representing their country.
- 5% Discount code for items from our retail store (excludes wetsuits)
These sessions are front crawl based, swimmers MUST be able to swim around 400m continuously .
if you do not meet this criteria please contact us to arrange a 1-2-1 introduction session or join our total beginners Open water weekly squads.
Group Intro Sessions: These sessions are aimed at swimmers who are looking to get into open water for the first time, or improve basic skills and confidence levels in Open Water. Swimmers should be able to swim at least 400 continous metres in a pool environment using the front crawl stroke.
Sessions will have a maximum of 14 participants (coaching ration of 7:1) to ensure a fantastic learning experience
Sessions are half day clinic based sessions to introduce Swimmers to the joys of open water swimming either for pleasure or for Open Water and/or Triathlon event swimming. The clinics will have classroom content and time in the open water with fully qualified open water specialist coaches (Swim England (ASA) and/or STA).
Dry land – Open Water, A brief overview of what to expect when you get into the water
Dry land – Wetsuit fitting, How to put on and fit your wetsuit for best results
Dry land – Breathing, relaxation and acclimatisation in the water
Wet side – Safe entry and exit of the water
Wet side – Breathing, Relaxation and acclimatisation into practice
Wet side – Getting started, a short swim to acclimatise
Wet side – A run through of common skills needed in the water (sighting, stroke, breathing, turning).
Wet side – Swim, what we are here to do. A short swim, step by step if needed or a full lap if comfortable.
Wet side – Safe exit of the water and removal of wetsuit
Dry side – Short Q&A for any points of the session
Home Study: Access to Video detailing all the skill learnt
Home Study: Take away Open Water Swimming guide books (electronic format) by South West Swim and Swim Smooth.
To participate and gain entry to the lake all swimmers will need to bring:
SWS Bespoke:If you have your own group of friends, tri club, swim club or want this type of session as a 1-2-1 then we can schedule and tailor a session to your needs. Please get in contact with us at Swim@southwestswim.co.uk for details and scheduling options.
- Wetsuit (triathlon/swimming suit is best for swimming and warmth) – optional in temperatures of 20 degrees plus but recommended for these sessions due to the stop start nature of skills development. We do offer very good prices on the Zone3 range of Wetsuits which we can obtain for you via Zone3 directly, please enquire.
- Bright coloured swim cap (or two), We provide a South West Swim hat as part of your session fee.
- Neoprene Swimming gloves, Booties and caps are optional. We would recommend these to new swimmers in the early / late season and also for swimmers who feel the cold.
- A swimming tow float, such as the Swim Secure Tow Float / Dry Bag Range. We can loan you one of these for the session, or they are available on our website.
- Upon booking you will receive a 10% off code for use in our retail store on products (Not valid for Wetsuit purchases)
a swimmer wishes to have a more informal session (i.e. wishes to swim breaststroke or is particularly nervous about Open water) please contact me and we can arrange a shorter 1-2-1 session or a group session if there are enough swimmers with similar requirements.
Tailored Introduction to Open Water 1-2-1 Sessions / Small group Sessions: We can also offer these sessions as a tailored individual session, Please contact us for details and pricing.
If you have any questions email Jason@southwestswim.co.uk | www.southwestswim.co.uk
Ideas or comments on the above service, we would love to here them so please contact us.