Jason Tait – South West Swim Lead Coach & Founder
Jason is an experienced open water swimmer and coach, who has also dabbled in triathlon in the past.
Jason has taught and coached at all levels from non swimmer and aquaphobia to world and national qualifiers, medal winners and champions.
Jason started his career as a volunteer at a local swimming club teaching children from age 4 to national qualifiers at a highly competitive level. Until recently Jason was lead open water coach for that club, before leaving due to time being spent with the swimmers of South West Swim. Jason was also the open water coach and committee member for Wiltshire ASA for a number of years.
Jason founded South West Swim in 2013/2014 as he noted there was a huge gap in the local area for qualified open water coaching and quality adult pool and 1-to-1 coaching. South West Swim quickly became a swimmers favourite, leading the way in open water coaching in the area and building to be one of the largest adult swim coach providers in Swindon and Wiltshire.
Jason was one of the very first coaches to sit the Swim England Level 2 open water coaching course, and the STA Open water coaching course after their release. To this day he is one of the only coaches to hold both qualifications in the Cotswolds and potentially the wider area. Jason is also a qualified STA open water coaching tutor and was on the STA working group that helped develop the award winning version of the STA Level 2 open water qualification, helping develop the official course other coaches need to take to become open water coaches.
Jason is also Swim Smooth Certified and is an expert in Front crawl stroke correction and training swimmers and triathletes. Swim Smooth certification is no easy task to obtain, usually with a training time of 18-24 months in total and covering many in depth scenarios of various stroke faults.
Jason’s own swimming has taken a backseat over the past few years, as he is always lake or poolside helping others master their swimming. However Jason has completed swims of all distances in pool and open water, up to Windermere one way swim (10.5 miles) and a half Ironman distance triathlon.
Qualifications and Experience:
– Swim Smooth Certified Coach for Swindon, Cotswolds and surrounding areas of the South West of England
– STA Level 2 Open Water Coach
– STA Open Water Qualified Coaching Tutor
– STA Open Water Coaching Qualification Working Group Member
– STA Certificate in Cold Water Swimming Coaching
– Swim England Level 2 Open Water Coaching
– Swim England Level 1 & 2 Coaching
– Swim England Level 1 & 2 Teaching
– ALP Advance Aquaphobia Coach / ALP Official Swim School
– Currently studying Fitness Instructor course
– Previous Open Water Lead Coach for a Local Swimming Club
– Previous Open Water Coach and Committee member for Wiltshire ASA
– Triathlon Show London Official Swim Coach 2017 & 2018 (Swim Smooth Team)
– Swim Coach and Swim advisor to the SwimTayka Charity
– Event support for numerous local and national event companies
– Published in various media channels
– Consultant work for lake venues, swim & triathlon clubs and media outlets including work on BBC Top Gear as open water advisor.
– RLSS Open Water Lifeguard
– NRASTC Safety Certificate
– First Aid at Work
– Foundation Safety & Rescue Training (FSRT)
– Powerboat Licence