Don’t Panic! But know we are focused on your safety in these uncertain times!
As you know, Coronavirus (Covid-19) is certainly present in the UK and has been declared a pandemic by the WHO (World Health Organisation). Our first priority is the safety of our Athletes, their families, friends and the wider community and we want to help reduce the spread of the virus as much as we can. To this end this email has been sent to all of our athletes from squad swimmers through to 1-2-1 and Video analysis clients as we feel it is important to you and your quest to remain healthy.
We are keeping an eye on all relevant advice and documentation that is being released by Swim England regarding swimming training, competitions and facilities, the latest advice from Swim England can be found at
We are also following the advice from PWTAG (Pool Water Treatment Advisory Group) at https://www.pwtag.org/novel-
Swimming Pool and Public Place Closures around the world:
Whilst here in the UK, no measures are in place to force the closures of swimming pools and other public places, it would be remiss to not conceive it as a small future possibility based on what is happening in others parts of the world. I am obviously hopeful that this won’t be the case. I am currently in conversation with GLL / Better who run the pools we use for our sessions and have asked them to provide any statements they have from their head office now and in the future. At the moment all Better centres are following government advice and they are cleaning and disenfecting handles, doors etc more frequently.
I will also contact the lakes in due course, but our open water season is still 5-6 weeks (or more if the water temps do not rise) away.
Of course our own Endless Pool in Swindon is cleaned daily and we have upped our cleaning of handles and other surfaces after all visits from 1-2-1 and Video Analysis swimmers.
I will keep you all posted on updates from all parties as we get them and will be keeping a very close eye on any interventions that may or may not occur in the near future.
So for us and our sessoins it is “business as usual” at this stage, but of course we and the pool / lakes have everyone’s safety as our utmost priority and I wanted to take a few moments of your time to detail what we can all do to help each other in this regard.
We have some big events and workshops coming up too; again these are business as usual and our Open Water Workshop, Endurance Swim Session, Junior IOpen Water Sessions all remain open for booking at this time and will go ahead as planned unless restrictions come into force.
Making the best of a bad situation, Hopefully keeping you moving:
If the worst does happen and pools and facilities are closed I am also planning away at SWS HQ in order to keep as many of you training as possible, as well as being safe and responsible in doing so. I am in the unique position of having our own pool and if pool closures do come into force we will hopefully (tbc by any government advice) still be able to utilise this option to provide at least some coaching and training in any periods of main pool closure.
We would be looking at 1 on 1 HiiT coaching sessions in the endless pool for those that wanted to keep training going. This would provide you with a 45 minute fast paced workout to keep your swim fitness and skills in check until things return to normal. These would be heavily discounted to make it a more affordable option in the absence of our squad sessions being disrupted. We would need to open up an array of time slots and would have some restrictions, but we hope this will benefit you if needed. We will release more information as and when needed whilst I plan away in the background.
So, what can we all do to help?
We respectfully ask that:
- if you suspect you have Covid-19 or have been in close contact with a person with confirmed Covid-19 please contact the relevant authorities and follow the directions provided by them.
- Please don’t come to the Squad, 1-2-1’s or Video sessions if you feel unwell.
- Please don’t come to the Squad, 1-2-1’s or Video sessions until you know you are clear of the virus (if you contractied it). Please contact us if this is the case.
- We do have a community of swimmers over the age of 60 in squad, please do your best to look out for those who are considered more “at risk” during this period, including other specific population groups.
- Please shower before getting into the pool and avoid close contact with other swimmers in the changing rooms and other dryside areas.
- The good news is that it is reported that COVID-19 cannot be spread in chlorinated water, so ensuring you are taking measures outside of the water will help contain any spread of the virus.
How to protect yourself:
As there is currently no vaccine for Covid-19 we encourage, where possible, reinforcing the WHO general recommendations to prevent the potential spread of infection:
- Regular handwashing with soap (for at least 20 seconds) or alcohol-based solution
- Covering coughing or sneezing with a tissue or elbow (not your hand)
- Avoiding touching of eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Limiting contact with people who are sick, and staying home if you are sick and encouraging employees to stay home when sick.
The WHO basic protective measures against the new coronavirus can be accessed here:
Thanks for your assistance in ensuring the wellbeing, safety and health of everyone in the Squad! I will keep you all updated on any changes with respect to the Pool and Lake facilities policies as we are told about them.
And remember, always look on the bright side of life!